During World War II, the Curtiss-Wright Corporation sponsored an engineering program for women students at several American universities, including Iowa State University. The Curtiss-Wright Engineering Cadettes were trained in drafting, stress analysis, materials lab, aerodynamics, and production liaison. Once the program was completed, the cadettes received an engineering certificate. The cadettes were not fully trained engineers, but were given adequate training so that they could assist engineers with their jobs. The company hoped their engineers would be able to accomplish more in less time with the aid of trained assistants. The courses began on February 15, 1943 with 100 cadets enrolled. When the course was completed 90 women out of the original 100 graduated, with 84 of the graduates being employed at the Curtiss-Wright Corporation plant in St. Louis.
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections email@example.com For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html