State Gymnasium was constructed from 1911-1913 and originally included a swimming pool, handball courts, and a running track. During the years 1918 and 1919, the gym became a dining hall for army recruits on campus. The exterior stairs at the center of the north side were added in 1936 and include Christian Petersen sculpture panels. A fire in 1962 caused some damage and loss of equipment. The gymnasium was renovated in 1967, which included a new track and other improvements. From 2009-2012 State Gym underwent a complete renovation project and a large addition was built on the west side including a new pool, basketball courts and running track as well as a skywalk over Union Drive connecting it to Beyer Hall.
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections email@example.com For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html