In October 1918 influenza broke out on campus. There were 1250 cases at one time. The wing of the college hospital, opened in April, was used exclusively for pneumonia cases. State Gym, a church basement, and dwelling houses became improvised flu wards. The campus was placed under strict quarantine, and passes were required for travel between the Fourth Ward and the downtown district. All work was suspended for a week and the schedule was more or less broken the rest of the quarter by recurring outbreaks of the malady. From October 8, 1918, to November 27, 1918, 51 deaths were reported in the corps; 25 in the collegiate section, and 26 in the mechanical detachment.
U.S. and international copyright laws protect this digital image. Commercial use or distribution of the image is not permitted without prior permission of the copyright holder. For permission to use the digital image, please contact Iowa State University Library, Special Collections email@example.com For reproductions see: http://www.add.lib.iastate.edu/spcl/services/photfees.html
Manager's Power Mac G5; Mac OS X; Creo iQsmart3; Kodak oXYgen Scan ver 2.6.1